Thursday, January 19, 2006

A New Post!

Hey everyone my computer is fixed! What happened to the old computer? Good question. Forensic evidence points towards an infiltration of the computer power supply by a spider looking for a home for her young. The adult perpetrator was not located but many of the fried crispy young were located among the shorted circuits of my power supply. It seems that one night when the computer was off an industrious spider crawled into the back of it through the power supply fan ducts. She then laid an egg nest and presumably left unharmed. The young spiders when they eventually hatched crawled throughout the power supply shorting out circuits and causing general mayhem. This resulted in the computer having some power issues and yet it kept on working.

The fact that the computer continued to work allowed me to live in gleeful bliss. I was aware that the power supply fan did not sound quite right and I downloaded a program to monitor the temperature of the computer. The program showed no hot spots over the course of a week so I assumed that everything was alright and that the fan was just getting old. What I was unaware of was that the problem was not just a weird sounding fan but extended to shorted out capacitors and other various components in the power supply. this eventually over taxed the system and then one day while playing Civ 3 the computer shut off. It then tried to restart got to the loading screen and shut off again. This alarmed me which lead to me taking the computer apart.

When I took the device apart that is when I finally found what had happened. When then forward our story to the middle to December when I first played with the idea of a new computer instead of just a new power supply. Unfortunately due to details I won't go into the purchase was thwarted and I was led to thinking about fixing the computer again. This January though I priced out the cost of actually fixing the computer and getting it up to a decent computing level. That led to the beautiful conclusion that it would be cheaper to buy new and transfer old components to the new machine.

So I ordered a beautiful (quite literally it is a very nice looking machine) computer from futureshop for 400 with taxes and I now am back and Maryanne is thankful that I am no longer bugging her constantly to use hers to read all of my science stuff. I do still have plans on changing this blog but that will come with time.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I bet this spider thing could only happen to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!! We missed you. Do you feel bad at all that you killed Charolette's babies?

Shannon said...

Oh Chris! How exciting that I will get to read your blog. I look forward to much interesting facts about science stuff.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I said, "Chris, your computer smells like it's burning."

You said, "It's always smelled like that!"

Weeks before Compy died, folks. Weeks.

And you'll all be happy to know that Chris built a little shelf to elevate his CPU, so it's no longer sitting on the floor of our basement suite. Now it'll be harder for spiders to find a home in his computer.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, the power generally goes out a few times a year in our area caused by a crow or pidgeon getting fried in a substation.

My computer was stoned once.

Jen said...

THAT is the wierdest thing I've ever heard.

Glad you are back.

Becca said...

Chris- I'm sure glad you are back - spiders -who'd a thunk?
-Becca

Caffeinated Canuck said...

Yo,

Good to see you're up and running agian man.

Derek bought a new computer today, an HP Pentium 4 with a media center, so he can use the moniter as a TV, record vidoes, that kind of thing. But I get the impression he'll be using it pretty exclusively for Counterstrike.

Anyway, we should talk. Let me know when you're free.

arimich said...

You're back! I missed you! Maryanne doesn't talk about you nearly often enough. Congratulations on your new computer! May it inspire you to blog more often. :) Love you lots, Ari <><

Chris said...

WOW, lots of comments. Yes I am back and I will be blogging regularly now. I also will comment on some comments.

Bronwyn first. The word the babies wove in the web was "capacitor" and then they fried.

Shannon second "Did you know that the Electromagnetic field around cell phones almost always interfers with the circuits in landlines people call in on because a current is induced in the wiring?"

Queeny third "It smelt like that for months and worked fine. Besides the days it died you pretended you were Bubs and went into the office saying" I should have done this like a million years ago." No compassion at all was displayed.

Math Chris next. Could you calculate the probability of this event happening for me and get back to me on that?

Jen I haven't told you enough of my adventures if you think this was the weirdest.

Becca good to hear from yah, I miss you lots!

Bernie I like the sound of your brothers computer. What happened to his old one? And I will call you soon.

Jen said...

The wierdest thing to a computer I mean.

Unknown said...

Hey! You can salvage the fan from the old power supply and use it as a case fan. Not to mention all the circuits and capacitors are fun to play with! :)