Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Elections Can Be Fun

Those of you who know me well know that I am not all that political. My support can move from one party to the next depending on who I see as best for this area and best for the country this time around. I also love to see how other people in different parts of the country think. So watching an election is very exicting for me because I feel connected to the whole country in this common act and I get to witness the new make up of a government and speculate with those around me about how it will govern.

This time Mary and I got to vote out here in B.C. which added different levels of interesting to the election because there was the outside chance that the Green Party might get a seat and because there was a radio and television BAN on all election results from the rest of the country until our own polls closed. In the end what I and most of the country expected to happen did happen and the Conservatives got a minority government. This is exciting for me not because I voted that way, I actually voted green, but because it is change and somehow change is always exciting.

With all of that said Mary and I were coming up with fun future scenarios for the government. With Prime Minister Martin stepping down and a liberal leadership race on the horizon we were able to have some fun. Picture this Belinda Stronach as leader of the liberals (this was hinted at last night) and Peter MacKay as leader of the Conservatives. It would be a few years before the latter happens, but can you imagine the tension in the house? Mary and I thought that Meg would especially find that scenario interesting.

Well that is about it for now. Everyone have a great day and I will get back to avoiding cleaning by playing CIV 3. (someday CIV 4 hopefully).

3 comments:

Jen said...

The makeup job on the politicians last night was really bad. Did you see Belinda's blue eyeshadow? It looked like she'd aged 30 years. And Stephen Harper's lipliner? hahaha

Unknown said...

hey, wait... we had an election? :P

Caffeinated Canuck said...

What about William Shatner as Liberal leader, and Khan heading up the Tories?

"That dirty Klingon killed my son! AND he may or may not have taken money from right wing Americans!"