Monday, April 12, 2010

Truly Unique Computer Games

Recently while reading XKCD I came across the mention of a fourth dimensional game. When I researched it I foudn that it does not exist yet but that it has won some design awards. I then checked out some other games that won similar awards and found some really fascinating games. Many of these games are short games that you can finish in less then a week or even an hour, but they are note worthy because of the way they play the game.

The first one I want to mention is called the continuity game. The game is a side scrolling game similar to Super Mario but with really simple clean graphics. The catch is that you can rearrange the levels by sliding the cards around. As long as the edges of the cards match up your character can move between them. Also as you play there is beautiful, calm music playing.
 The second game is more artistic. It is called a puzzle poem because the game is a poem in which you switch out nouns and verbs. The game is the title of the poem "Today I die." As you do this it takes you through the story of the poem to the conclusion. I almost think of it as more art than game. It is a really neat concept that I have never seen applied to a game structure before.  To add to the mood the poem also has music playing in the background.

If you have a moment I suggest you check out both of these games.

No comments: