Saturday, February 11, 2006

Because Sometimes Ky is Right

This just in: peanut butter actually can kill you. Maryanne had told me about Ky's fear of stale peanut butter and I immediately scoffed at it. (Maryanne is currently, annoyingly editing over my shoulder.) Then I researched it on the internet, the great repository of all knowledge, and found out about aflatoxin and aspergillus flavus. The first is a toxin that can be and usually is found in corn, peanuts and cotton seed crops. It does not kill you directly but is one of many carcinogens in our world. The latter is the mold that grows on these foods that can produce aflatoxin. It is invisible to the naked eye in small quantities and is always found in some measure in anything containing corn or peanuts.

So does this mean that we should immediately write our MPs demanding that peanut butter be banned or at least regulated? Well, no. You see ALL foods are already regulated and legislation already exists to limit the chance that your food will kill you. In the case of A. Flavus farmers and transportation officials have to ensure that peanuts and corn are stored and transported at a proper temperature and humidity that limits the growth of this mold. In addition to this, food is only be allowed to be sold for a certain period of time. (This is the whole "best before date" concept.)

What should be done then to limit your exposure to aflatoxin? Start by making sure that you store your peanuts and peanut butter in a dry, not overly humid cupboard (if you really want to you could even refrigerate them to further hamper the molds growth). Only buy what you will need in the short term. This is one of those things that you do not need to buy in enormous bulk amounts that will last for years. Although, even if you do you will likely be okay because there are things in life way may carcinogenic than aflatoxin and it should not be high on the avoid list. With that said though do not be to cavalier about it. In other words do not knowingly buy stale peanuts.

Well, there you go; Ky is right. You should avoid that old peanut butter that has been in your grandma's cupboard since you were wee tiny.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Good thing I can empty a jar of peanut butter by myself in about a month. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that takes a spoon to the PB jar. =D
Oh, hi cousin, nice to see you're posting again!

Caffeinated Canuck said...

Firstly: a sticky, brown paste that comes in a big plastic jar with a squirrel on the label is automatically bad for you.

Secondly: if it turns out what you're eating actually IS squirrel, you can't ingest aflatoxin or aspergillus flavus from it.

Fourthly: point "Thirdly" was annoying everyone so much, we all had a vote, and it has to ride in the trunk.

Bronwyn said...

I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. Be danged if I care if it will kill me. And I'm with shaeffer, I can clean one out in a month. Of course... I'm feeding it to my dog too. Do you think it will kill her???? Now I'm rethinking this whole thing.

Jen said...

Well, it might make her teeth stick together...

I also love peanut butter. I think it is very good for you, unless you are allergic to it. The it is, well, to say the least, not.

Shannon said...

Aspergillus is one of the moulds most commonly identified when I am doing mould surveys in commercial and residential buildings. We run the air through casettes with a little filter on them but the lab only identifies to the genus level so I cannot say whether I have met A. Flavus before or just a close relative.

Chris said...

Shannon you really are a nerd's dream girl. (I'm a nerd)

Shannon said...

spread the word Chris, spread the word.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nice Blog .Thank you - SEO india.

Curt Crispin said...

Hi, That is good one.

web development said...

Hello, That is valuable.

web development said...

Hi,Nice post. Good work.

Khajan Singh said...

Really great post i think this is a nice piece to work Website Design Delhi

SEO India said...

I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you gave. Perhaps a guest appearance would be good.

web development India said...

This is a really good post. Must admit that you are amongst the best bloggers I have read. Thanks for posting this informative article.

SEO Delhi said...

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us.